I like Cherry Hills Neighborhood. It's right by the Wal-Mart we go to, and the houses are pretty high end. Well, the closest high-end houses I would consider "near" us. Anyway, even though Ryan and I figured it would be $1 in gas to drive there and back, I decided that was worth it for a neighborhood sale.
View Larger Map
When I got there, it was definitely worth it! I must have hit between 15 and 20 sales, and they weren't even all open today. I really liked that some of the sales were fundraisers, but not overpriced, just simply giving their proceeds to some good cause. I was super excited when I hit a few that had all clothes for 50 cents or $1 each, and I picked up about a basketfull. Only a few are things that the kids will be able to wear within the next year; I like to stock up for the future. When you find good quality for a reasonable price, it's worth buying. I did find quite a few books; they had many "learning to read" and some "beginning chapter books", which are both things I'm looking for, as Sydney will need them soon. They were 25 cents each or 5/$1. I even found some Thomas the Train Engine friends, and had to limit what we could add to our collection because my pocket was getting empty. The kids were good, and after calling my attention to certain items (toys), and being told "no", they didn't argue.
Not all of the garage sales had reasonably priced clothes, at least for my budget, but some had some nice quality, high-end brand things, that they were charging more for. At that point, I don't mind walking away. What shocked me was the house I went to that had a bin of boys clothes marked $3/jeans and $2/shorts and then jeans either had holes in them, or were very worn in the knees. I thought that was a little crazy.
But, for the better part of 2.5 hours, I was able to find things to add to my stockpile for the kiddos. Extremely well worth it.
3 years ago
1 comment:
Oh, you make me groan! I haven't figured out garage sales here in SC and I haven't met a diehard like you to compare notes with!! I've had to limit my driving around to just the AF Base and once in a while a close neighborhood sale. Such a bummer! It has limited my spending, though, and when I do get to a good one, I feel it's not just a wash b/c I'm so close to home! Trying not to be envious. Maybe I'll just send you my wishlist and $20. . . I'd probably have to send you a lot more in shipping to send all you got with the $20 though! Keep at it, girl, at least someone needs to be finding the good ones!
Post a Comment