I don't know about you, but back in the day our family made lots of trips to the local library, which was pretty much a hole-in-the-wall at the time. Janelle and I read constantly during the summer. I remember in 6th grade, we had to keep track of the book we read every quarter, along with pages, etc. During the 2nd quarter, which included the Christmas break, I read over 10,000 pages. And Janelle has grown up to become a librarian. Reading definitely had an influence on us growing up.
I am amazed and excited about all the changes technology has brought to the library system. We've probably all noticed the automation systems, which have been around for quite some time now (unless you're the Shelby, NE school library), but I love the website services. I can make lists of the books I might want to reserve. I can reserve them, or get put on a waiting list, and have the book sent to the closest branch (I think there are 11 branches in Omaha). It's a fabulous service.
Besides that, I get an automated phone call when my books are in, and I get an e-mail when my books are coming due. Want to renew? Simply log into the website and renew (as long as no one else is waiting for them).
Some branches, such as the Abrahams Branch on 90th, also have a "self-service" book checkout. I can reserve books, and then go pick them up off the "reserved shelf" and then go check them out myself. Very nice when the kids are waiting patiently in the car.
Don't like to read? Well, the library is up-to-date on many other things. I was amazed, when searching their online catalog, at how many recent DVD movies they have. And many have a 14-day checkout. Some of them have a long waiting list, but hey, you can stay on the waiting list for a year. They also have those seasons of your favorite TV shows that you don't want to buy for $40 just to relive your memories one time.
My kids are taking part in the summer reading program here in Omaha. There are 3 goals - read 10 books, read 15 books, read 25 books, and then for every 10 books over that, you get your name in a drawing for prizes at the end. The program began June 1, and my kids have already met the 2nd goal. Of course, we've been making an effort to read more anyway because of this program.
Public libraries are an excellent value. Take part in the freebies!!
3 years ago
1 comment:
I love libraries! I have two libraries that I frequent...Bellevue and Plattsmouth. I love that Plattsmouth has self check out and the request a book service. They too email you when your books are ready to pick up and also a few days before they are due. (Bellevue doesn't do this...sad)
However, my favorite resource is Inner Library Loan. I get a lot of books like that from the base...it's free there. Sometimes I use Bellevue's ILL and it only cost a dollar or two. Saves you from having to buy a book you may not want. :-)
Post a Comment