Monday, October 05, 2009

Micah Ittai - 9 Weeks

So this will be really quick because I am trying to get myself on a schedule that includes a 9:00 bedtime. I know, it's optimistic, but...I really need this.

*Micah is a natural-born thumb-sucker. He has been attempting to find his thumb for awhile now, but without success...until Saturday. He finally found his thumb, and has really developed a liking for it over the past 3 days. I am not a fan of thumb-sucking, nor do I want to have to break him of it someday. It's much easier to take away a pacifier at 6 or 7 months like I did with Sydney and Isaiah. So, I've started putting baby gloves on him at night to keep him from sticking his thumb in his mouth. He doesn't like them, but I think he's getting used to them.

*Micah is much more alert, cooing more, and smiling more. Today, he looked at me several times and broke into a big grin. That will make any mother's heart melt.

*Micah has a bald spot on the back of his head. More of one than even Isaiah had. I am trying to give him some tummy time every day, though.

*I have caught Micah with his hand touching his hair, toward the swirl in the back. This is something Isaiah starting doing when he was about 9 months old, especially while drinking his bottle. He does it to this day when he goes to sleep.

*I read this week about babies developing flat sides of their faces if they sleep on one side all the time. Micah is my only baby who does sleep with his face so far over to one side that I would even have to worry about it becoming flat. However, he seems to rotate sides, so that makes things easier for me.

*Micah had his 2 month appointment last Friday and got 4 shots for a number of different vaccines. He did a great job. He is 11 lbs. 5 oz. (50%) and I'll have to look up his length (75%).

Well, in my pattern of developing postpartum issues, I came down with Mastitis on Friday, running a temperature of 100 F. That was really the main issue, as it caused chills so violent that I was shaking. This started, of course, while I was out at the doctor's office. I made it home, and tried to get through it in my flannel pants and most comfiest sweatshirt ever. However, at 2:00, I called Ryan at work and asked him to come home, because I was so weak from the fever. My whole body was achy as well. By the time Ryan got home, I was into the hot part of the fever, which lasted at least 3 or 4 hours. Fortunately, we were able to get some antibiotics before the doctor's office closed and I was back to normal by Sunday. I hate fevers.

Ryan and I made a couple of observations about Sydney and Isaiah this week that we thought were worth noting. Sydney seems to have a low pain tolerance, while Isaiah's is very high (like mine). Micah's too, perhaps, judging by how he took his shots.

Sydney has a bit of a stubborn streak in her that Ryan can identify with. We had one of those battles this weekend that we had to win (and we did!), but it really showed her stubbornness.

No comments: