I remember a time when in high school where I had agreed to play the piano in jazz band. I was not equipped to play the jazz chords (really much different thought processes than the smutz chords that I usually played). They needed a piano player and I was willing to give it a go.
I held on to that jazz band music, not knowing exactly how to play it, and not knowing with my skill set if I ever could. I just knew that I really cared about my band teacher (Mr. Jensen) and that I did not want to disappoint him. Each day I held onto the jazz band music, my heart grew more and more weary, deeper and deeper into despair. It was a long process...I was caught between two hard places: my ineptitude of actual skill on the piano, and my disappointing my band director.
I remember the day and hour that I finally told Mr. Jensen that I couldn't play it and wasn't able to put in the time to learn how. I remember where I was sitting and can vividly recall his reaction...
Why do I write this? I write this really for my kids because the hope is some day they'll read through this blog and not live as a slave under other people's expectations. It really is pointless, because you really cannot please everyone, or better, you really cannot please anyone. The best thing to do - live to the Lord in everything and let the chips fall where they may. Christ said, "My yoke is easy and my burden is light" (Matt. 11:30). Believe it and live it.
Are you disappointed that I didn't tell you his reaction? :)

4 comments:
Knowing Mr. Jensen, I'm sure his reaction wasn't nearly what you thought it'd be. ;)
I just remembered something else to add to this. Jon Boorom (yes, I'm bringing him up) taught me one thing. He said to me one day "Ericka, no matter what you do, somebody's not gonna like it...so you just make sure you're doing what's right, so that that somebody's not you."
This is a very "downer blog". Ryan I asked you last night if you were doing ok? Are you upset about something?
This wasn't supposed to be a "downer blog" but an encouragement :)
Post a Comment