This will probably not be nearly as inspiring as the Reflections On My 27th Birthday that I posted last year. However, that was a milestone year, as I was officially an "upper-20's" person. I had assumed that my next milestone year would be 30, but Dad informs me that turning 29 is actually harder than turning 30. I guess I'll find out next year.

The first thing I want to reflect on is dry skin. For the first time in my life, I have had a problem with dry skin this year. I have never been one for obsessively applying lotion, but my hands were so dry that I did try that...to no avail. They actually got to the point that they were cracked and red and every time I put them under warm to hot water, they seared with pain. Well, that was for about a week until I found Aquaphor by Eucerin. I have to say that this saved my hands this winter. I usually apply it at night (when I remember), because it's kind of gooey on my hands until it dries. I only apply it about once a week and it cures all. Anyway, all that to say that I thought having dry skin made me feel old this year. Luke said it's probably just because it's been a really dry winter.
Ryan and I decided that because of the closeness of birthdays in our family, we, as the adults, could pick something other than a birthday cake to celebrate with...a birthday dessert of sorts. Ryan knew what he wanted right away, and I was able to pull off a sort of Oreo/ice cream dessert for him this year. I am having a bit more difficulty, though. I enjoy strawberries, but besides February being the wrong time of year to buy them, Ryan can't stand them. So, this year I made a Holy Cow Cake. It was good, but I don't think I'll make it again. It's got to be something that is so wonderful that I'll look forward to it all year long, to the one time I will make it every year. Suggestions, anyone?
Next I want to reflect on some resolutions. Ryan made some during his birthday post, and I thought this was a good time for me to do the same:
- Tardiness - It has come to my attention that I "run late" a lot. Janelle suggested that this is because I have kids, but I have to disagree. I oftentimes run off of the "ideal" schedule instead of the "realistic" schedule. Oh, a lot of times I make it on time and sometimes I am even early. But I am running late more often than I used to, and certainly more often than I would like. So, I resolve to be more "on time".
- Junk Pile - This topic is so extensive that it could have it's own post. Essentially, I have inherited a "junk pile" tendancy. When Ryan and I first got married, this included having a pile of stuff on our table. Since we've had kids, my junk pile has moved to a counter in the kitchen. I tried an experiment at Christmas by taking the whole pile and putting it in the spare 'oom until I could sort through it. In no time at all, another pile has formed! And now, we have several junk areas - the junk counter in the kitchen, the junk-to-get-rid-of pile in the basement, and the junk-that-we-don't-have-anywhere-to-put which is now consuming our spare 'oom. So, on that confession, I resolve to sort through my junk, try to get rid of it, and try to keep the kitchen counter cleaned off.
- I have been experimenting a lot this past year with new recipes. I would like to keep experimenting with meals, but to also get back to freezing some for future use. Most of my experimental meals have been from my freezer cookbooks, and I want to continue to find out what is good so that I can actually freeze them for our family's benefit. I resolve to continue to refine out family's meals for taste and efficiency.
I should say that I spent my 28th birthday scrapbooking with a friend, thanks to the Knipps who kept my kids busy (Ryan was judging a speech meet that day).
6 comments:
To my defense, I did not volunteer to judge the speech meet - Joy's sister (my sister-in-law Janelle) pleaded with me in complete desperation (read: asked nicely) if I could help her and I said that I couldn't unless Joy specifically approved it because I wouldn't schedule something for Joy's birthday.
I'm a loving husband who wanted to be there for his wife on her birthday. Love you Joy :) I'll be glad to see the pile of junk gone! It has gotten to be such a center piece of our home that I might feel a bit of loss when it's gone.
In my defense, I asked Ryan to judge the speech meet on the off chance that Ryan would actually agree to do it (with Joy's permission). I certainly did not expect that he would agree, but I was extremely grateful that he and Joy worked it out so he could judge the meet. :)
So thank you to both for your sacrifice on behalf of my speech team. :)
Please oh please, don't say that turning 29 is worse than turning 30! In just a few short months, I will be 29. Oh well, what can a girl do. :)
I don't have a typical birthday cake. Mom makes me a chocolate chip cheesecake instead. It's absolutely wonderful.
I totally sympathize with ya on the piles. I currently have several that I have promised myself will be taken care of by spring. I want to do a total sweep of my apartment and get rid of all the clutter. It's a mind boggling task, but the clutter is starting to get to me. :O
Joy,
I am hitting the dry skin time of life, too, which I am trying not to be frustrated with since I spent the first 20 some years struggling with oily skin. :) I am going to have to try the lotion you're using -- my hands are cracked in the winter, too. I've been using the strongest Aveeno stuff, but with how many times a day I wash my hands it just can't keep up.
Happy Birthday! I turn 30 this summer and don't feel bothered by it now. I'll let you know how I feel when it actually comes. 29 wasn't a big deal either! 23 was the only birthday I really remember struggling through.
Anne
Joy, We used Aquaphor for a little while last year, but we didn't like the greasy feeling. We went back to Walgreens this season when the cold set in and just bought the Walgreens version of Euceriin cream in the tub. It was $5.99. Maddie now swears by it. She likes that it's not so greasy and will use it occasionally throughout the day because of this. I think the stuff is called Theraputic Moisturizing Creme. Anyway, the way Maddie likes to use it best is to rub in on her hands and leave a thick layer on, then put on a pair of cotton socks for the night. (cotton gloves if you have them.) She really struggles with skin issues. I blame Mickey's side of the family. :-) But this year has been the best with the help of the "fake" eucerin. :-)
I totally relate to the junk piles! :)
Post a Comment