Thursday, December 06, 2007

Always Carry Jumper Cables...

It never fails. At least once every winter and/or spring, I need to use jumper cables. I hesitate to turn my lights on whenever it is light out for fear that I will forget to turn them off! Sometimes this fear haunts me early on. I remember the semester I went to North Platte Community College for day classes (Spring 2005), and when I drove into the parking lot on the first day, I thought, "I know that at least once this semester I'll have to get my car jumped. I wonder who will help me. I wonder if it will be raining or snowing."

The time has come this year! Today I took the kids to have school at a friend's house during our 3-5" snowfall. Her husband cleared the snow around the car for me and did the initial "wipe-off" so that we could get in. But when my unlocker remote didn't work, I knew I was in trouble. That is always the first sign. Then I remembered that I had left my lights on when I came over. Luckily, with the car being on the street and all, and it being people I knew, I didn't have a problem getting my car started again and being on my way. (I always carry jumper cables in my trunk.)

However, today's lesson was not to be learned so quickly. I had to stop by a couple of stores to hunt for snowboots for Isaiah (preferably ones that didn't cost $25). Although unsuccessful in my venture, I did manage to leave my lights on again when I was in Thrift World. I got the kids strapped into the car and then tromped back inside to ask someone to jump me. They were trying to figure out who would have jumper cables. I said, "Oh don't worry. I have the jumper cables." They promptly sent a nice young man outside to jump my car.

So, twice in one day and it was on the first heavy snowfall of the year. Hopefully it will sink in quick. And to the rest of you, a bit of advice. Always carry jumper cables.

1 comment:

Susan Kauffman said...

What a blessing that there was someone able to help you out both times! Whenever I have car trouble, my poor dad ends up getting a phone call. I'm pretty sure one day he will just quit answering his phone when my number pops up. :)
I need to stock the emergency kit in my intrepid, I probably better get a set of jumper cables for it. I've been lucky so far and have never needed them. (Knock on wood...)