Monday, July 27, 2009

38 Weeks

Last week was a busy week for me, and the weeks just seem to be flying by since I got to 30, so that is a blessing.

I had a baby shower last week! I think it's still not exactly normal or expected for a third child to get a baby shower, but it is appreciated all the same. Maybe it depends on where you are living and how long you have been there? We have lived in a different place when each child was born, so that tends to make things very interesting. Anyway, it was a wonderful shower, and I received many items that will be well-used - bottle nipples, many diapering and baby-caring essentials, a travel-size swing (something they didn't even make almost 4 years ago when Isaiah was born) and a bouncer. For those of you that don't know, "normal" showers consist of a lot of cutesy little baby clothes and blankets...at least mine have in the past! I have been very blessed in that God has provided much of my baby clothes through garage sales already this summer, and I still have plenty of blankets left over from Isaiah's baby days. I am very thankful to get those diapers, wet wipes, and diaper rash cream! But for those that did give me outfits...they are super cute ones and I can't wait for Baby ----- to wear them.

I had my doctor's appointment last Thursday when Ryan was on his trip to California, so I got a babysitter for my kids, something I rarely do. Not much to report except that I am still 2 cm dilated, and now 50% effaced. We are still on to induce on August 7th, although my doctor is still hoping this baby will come on his own. My next appointment is this Friday.

I think I was experiencing some Braxton-Hicks (fake) contractions during the day and evening on Friday. That was interesting, because I don't know that I've had them before with my previous pregnancies. However, they are irregular and don't make any progress toward labor, so it's just rather uncomfortable knowing that nothing is really happening.

I successfully dehydrated myself yesterday. When I was about time to head out to the evening church service, I was having some pressure and sharp pains in my lower abdomen. I was also very hot and out of breath. I called my doctor's office and spoke to the OB on call, who suggested that I drink a couple of glasses of water and lie on my left side for a couple of hours. After just drinking one glass of water, I could tell a huge difference. I was still not 100% for the rest of the evening, but I could tell steady progress. After all that water, though, I was up every 2 hours throughout the night to go to the bathroom...and then rehydrate myself. It wasn't the most restful night's sleep I've had.

July was to be the month I most dreaded in this pregnancy, and it has really turned out to not be too bad. Last week we hit the 90's for the first time all month, and some of our overnight lows have even been in the 50's and 60's. It's really unusual for this time of year, but I have been grateful. I've still felt the heat, and have been blasting the air conditioning in the car whenever I take the kids on errands. Knowing it's not as bad as it could be is a small comfort, though. Also, I think the only reason that I have not dehydrated myself up until now is that my body has had an abnormal thirst for cold water...something that I am very bad about giving it normally. I have actually been drinking the recommended 8 glasses of water per day for probably the whole month of July! That's a good habit that I don't want to stop.

Anyway....more news after this Friday!

No comments: