Monday, June 15, 2009

A Mom Just Like You

I just read this borrowed book, A Mom Just Like You, by Vickie and Jayme Farris. Vickie is a mom who homeschools her 10 children, and her husband, Mike, was the president of the HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association) at the time she wrote this book. Evidently, he is now just chairman of the board for the HSLDA, but also President of Patrick Henry College.

I would recommend this book because it's an easy read, and if nothing else, it is just interesting to read about a woman whose husband is gone a lot and who is raising 10 children. That is amazing to me! However, I don't think there's enough value to me in it that I would actually purcahse the book, so check your local library or a friend to see if you can borrow it.

I think there are a lot of good points brought up, and like I said, Vickie just has an interesting life story. However, there were many things that I was unable to identify with, as her life is so different from mine. It was overall, an encouragement, to read how she does it all.

This book, however, did not make me enthusiastic enough to want to have 10 children, or to live any more of a hectic life than I already have. It did make me content and thankful that I have a husband who is home most of the time and two children who are reasonably well-behaved. And it was an encouragement that I should be able to handle an additional baby when he makes his presence.

1 comment:

marnmic said...

glad you liked the book.... :-)