You wouldn't think it, but there are major baby fashion trends going on these days. I realize that fashions change and that baby clothes today are much cuter and of a wider variety than they were 30 years ago. Trust me, I can pick out those '80's baby clothes at garage sales.
What amazes me is that there are so many different styles and themes of baby clothing since Isaiah was born...less than 4 years ago. You wouldn't think that baby clothes, especially baby boy clothes would change that much. But they have...
When I shopped for Isaiah (at garage sales), I stuck to blue and gender-neutral clothing. After he was born, though, I really didn't care for him in yellow. Just loved him in blue. I don't remember seeing many more options. As far as themes, you usually have sports themes, animal themes, and bug themes for boys. Then, as they grow, stripes and plaids are added in there.
As I am shopping for our new baby boy, I am excited about all the other colors they are using now - besides blue they have some vibrant green, a sagier green and lots of brown. Also, instead of having a general "sports" theme, they have broken it up into particular sports so that you can support the one you like...like football only or baseball only. I have no less than 5 clothing items that have a reference to football on them. (This is an exciting thing for Ryan, as he loves football, but not really any other sports. This baby is going to be our football baby; he is due on August 9th, which is the date of the Bears' first preseason game.) Also, I have noticed more stripes and polka dot options that were not previously so available.
So, I know they're out to make money and stuff, but I think it's amazing how quickly they can turn around fashion on baby clothing. I can't imagine having a girl...I'm sure those clothing lines have only changed more since Sydney was born.
Addition 06/18/2009: It is also interesting how many "newborn" sized clothing is available now. When I had Isaiah, I was hard-pressed to find 1 or 2 preemie-sized things at garage sales. I like them because they're smaller, but my kids tend to be so long-waisted that preemie things only fit for the first 4-5 days. I love newborn size because it is long enough for my kids, and it doesn't look like they're swimming in it (like 0-3 month). Not only are they more readily available in stores now, they're also more prominent at garage sales. And that's where I love to shop!
3 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment