Monday, May 04, 2009

Five Days With No Accidents...

This hasn't officially happened yet. But we are on our way.

Sydney got a big wheel a few weeks ago, the "big surprise" for finishing the first level of her piano books. We also got Isaiah a big wheel with the promise that we would put it together for him as soon as he could go five days without an accident.

The first few days, he was highly motivated. He practically drooled watching Sydney ride around on her big wheel in anticipation of getting his own (even though he hasn't even mastered pedaling yet).

The initial excitement and motivation has worn off, but we are still making steady progress toward our goal. We have had several accident free days (not in a row). The funny thing is that I can't always tie his accidents to something like "he was so caught up playing" or "I forgot to remind him to go even though it had been a few hours". Some of his accidents have been when he was simply sitting around doing nothing, or less than 15 minutes after he had just gone. I have noticed that once he has had an accident in one day, he usually doesn't try as hard the rest of the day to make it to the potty.

Another branch of progress is that Isaiah has quit using the potty seat all on his own. I don't know if he thought it took too much time to place it and return it, or if he just decided he didn't need it. But he has decided that he doesn't need it at all (which will be a great help to me in the realm of public restrooms). Isaiah has also gained speed at mastering the entire process, from beginning to end. He has gotten faster at pulling his pants up and down, and even better at not getting them so twisted. I know that shorts will greatly improve this process as well.

So, all in all I am happy with how far we've come. Today marks the first 2-day accident-free streak we've had thus far. My hope is still just that it gets done before the baby arrives.

No comments: