Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Childhood Snacks

Don't you marvel at childhood snacks? This summer I have found that honey or cinnamon graham crackers are a perfect snack to take to yard sales. I have been trying not to let my kids eat in the car, so we will drive to a yard sale, hop out, and I give them each a graham cracker. That keeps them content for the amount of time I need to look, and then it's back in the car. I can usually hit 3 or 4 sales like this, right around the 10 o'clock hour.

When I was at a sale last weekend, a lady commented to me, "Why is it that graham crackers always look so good when a kid is holding onto them? I never have a craving for graham crackers unless I see it in the hands of a child." That is so true. They are a great snack. I think dry Cheerios are the same way. I wouldn't eat them for breakfast dry, but they are a great snack for all ages.

I think animal crackers are a funny snack. Whenever I buy them, my kids couldn't be more unenthusiastic about eating them. But whenever they are served in a church nursery or play area, they eat their fill.

Goldfish is another one of our favorites, but that is one they will eat any time, anywhere. I find the Baby Goldfish tend to last longer than the regular-sized ones. :)

I can remember two favorite childhood snacks from when I was growing up: Graham Crackers 'N Milk and Nilla Wafers. For Graham Crackers 'N Milk, we would break apart 1.5-2 graham crackers into their 1/4-size rectangles and put them in a plastic cup. Then we would pour milk on them about halfway up. I don't really care for it now, and it's probably not very economical with the price of milk. But that was always a favorite back in the day.

For Nilla Wafers, my mom would make a Nilla Wafer sandwich with strawberry cream cheese in the middle. I didn't even realize the variety of cream cheese flavors until I was in my older teens, because we just stuck to strawberry (and maybe there wasn't such a variety back in the day). But those are still appealing to me. They are so yummy!

So, what are some more universally loved childhood snacks? And what was your favorite as a child?

2 comments:

Adina Caskey said...

okay, I have to say I've NEVER eaten vanilla wafers that way, but we will HAVE to try that!! Sounds good to this pregnant tummy!!

Susan Kauffman said...

Ritz crackers. They're good with peanut butter and/or jelly. They are even better with frosting. Sweet and salty all in one. Fabulous!
Teddy grahams and all varieties of goldfish are also popular in my home.