Wednesday, August 06, 2008

God is Good All the Time

I got my hair cut last night. It didn't go as well as I had hoped, and now I have to get used to hair that is a bit shorter than I would like it, in a style that doesn't really make me look my best. I wasn't happy about it. But I would gladly look not-like-myself for a couple of weeks to be able to share the joyous things God is doing in and around us:

1. See previous post. Praise God!

2. I got an e-mail last night that my friend in Arkansas accepted Jesus as her personal Savior. Praise God!

3. We got an anonymous letter in our mailbox this morning from an OCA graduate, thanking Ryan for making them do every assignment in the text and challenging them with hard tests. Each time I read it, it brings tears to my eyes to read words from the heart. Enclosed was a pretty large sum of money, especially for a student on their way to college, but the student said that God laid it upon his/her heart to give it to Ryan. For Ryan, the note was worth more. To know that he made a difference in the life of one student is worth it all. Praise God!

4. Our family has not had an easy time since we left Illinois/school. Even though things did not go as we planned, they went exactly as God planned, and He has provided for us every step of the way. And we are closer to Him because of it. He has taken care of every need, and we know that He will continue to do so as we move on in our lives. Each time we were seeking employment, God has faithfully provided right on time. In fact, the night we found out that he would need to seek employment again, He provided a job for us. It wasn't supposed to be a full-time or permanent position, yet God had already taken care of that, too, by the time Ryan started his position.

5. Ryan and I have both had a few bad haircuts by professionals. Does this make us love each other less? No. In fact, it allows us to see that we love each other more for who we are than how we look. How we look will not get us through 50 years of marriage, only how we look on the inside.

Why do we worry about what we will eat or how we will dress or how our hair is cut? Is that anything compared to seeing the blessings of God poured out upon us in our daily lives? God is good...all the time.

2 comments:

marnmic said...

Amen! That is so cool! What's the John Piper quote? “Anxiety shows that we are too close to the world and too far from God. So don’t be anxious—the world has nothing eternal to offer, and your loving heavenly Father knows your needs now and forever.”~ John Piper

That one made me think about how I worry too.

Adina Caskey said...

Okay, Joy, that was a great post, now I want pictures of the haircut!!