Thursday, July 17, 2008

2008-2009 School Year

Yes, technically we are starting the new school year already. I got done everything I wanted to with the kids by the end of June for last school year, and so we have moved on. Well, Sydney has moved on. I am giving Isaiah a nice, long break.

We haven't dived back in by any means. We're taking our time, only starting 2 subjects for now. It has worked pretty well that I decided to put Isaiah down for nap a little early (around 1:30) and then work through math and reading with Sydney. I was given the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading and it came highly recommended. So far, so good (we're on lesson 9). I chose to begin our math studies with Saxon Math K after much deliberation. So far (we're on lesson 7), I am really happy with it, and Sydney loves it, too. They use manipulatives, which makes everything more fun.

My goal is to gradually add in Bible, which will be the AWANA Cubbies book, and more reading, which will be Five in a Row. That also expands into other subjects, but the focus is the actual book. We were given some of the books that are used in FIAR, so I am excited to get started on that.

As a result of our summer reading program, I am hoping to read aloud to the kids more regularly this school year, and on a more individual basis. I think their interests and attention spans are such that it will be better for both of them to have some one-on-one time to read.

Anyway...just a school update. Much more to come.

1 comment:

Susan Kauffman said...

Rachael starts kindergarten this fall. I think we are both equally excited. Rachael mostly because now she doesn't have to be in preschool "like a baby" anymore. I'm happy to she her progressing, and also thrilled that I will be saving a load on daycare.
Also, we get to go buy school supplies soon! I'm such a dork, but I get a huge kick out of it!