Thursday, June 05, 2008

Summer Freebies...and More Garage Sales...

Yes, there are summer freebies to take advantage of! And wouldn't you know it - we live in the right neighborhood.

The movie theaters around here are showing kids' movies this summer. Many cities do this, but usually for some sort of fee. Several in Omaha are charging $2.50, and some $1 (donated to charity), but our closest theater, Great Escape at Sorensen Park Plaza, is showing movies for free! And what's more, not only 1 or 2 days, but 3 days every week! How exciting!

Now, I'm not saying I'll go to each and every movie, but I have to admit that there are some that I've been wanting to see for awhile. Today we went to Everyone's Hero, which was being directed by Christopher Reeve before he died. There were a few minor things that I didn't care for, that hopefully my children overlooked. This was their first time going to a movie theater, though, and I think they really enjoyed it (although it was a little long for Isaiah).

Well, going out on Thursdays proposes a slight problem for me - early garage sales! There are signs all up and down Sorensen Parkway! So, after I put Isaiah down for a nap, I took Sydney out with me to a "neighborhood sale" I had seen a sign for. Most of the sales were worthless, but for the one sale that was selling kids' clothes - it was worth it. Fantastic selection, and if you were willing to dig for the good stuff, you could get some great quality at a decent price. There were several sellers, so one of them had folded and Ziploc-bagged every clothing item, and then labeled it on the outside. It's inconvenient, because you have to open the bag to see what you're buying, but I did appreciate that she didn't mass-price everything. I got some lower-quality things really cheap and some high quality things for just cheap. :) Another seller had her clothes all in tubs, sorted by size, but mass-priced. Shirt/shorts - $1, jeans/pants - $1.50, sweaters - $2. Well, it was probably a good thing, because then I resisted the temptation to buy even more sweaters for Isaiah to wear next fall! (My biggest weaknesses for Isaiah are button-down shirts and sweaters. For Sydney - sundresses and sweaters.) But I did find a nice pair of adjustable-waist Gymboree denim cargo shorts for $1 and a couple of nice Gap button-down tops for $1 each and a green Old Navy ringer tee for $1 (Isaiah loves gree and I know this will get a lot of use this summer). And a few more shirts for Isaiah if I recall.

What's up with people not wanting to buy winter clothes at garage sales? I've heard this from a few different people, and I think it's hilarious because I am mostly attracted to winter clothes at all times of the year. Maybe I'm a true Midwesterner. Or maybe I'm insane. But also, they are usually in better condition than summer clothes, after they've been played in outside all summer long.

So, more reviews on the way! For the record, I think these were the Country Club Neighborhood Garage Sales, north of 60th & Sorensen Parkway.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have "frugalness" as a keyword here.

Is "frugalness" a word?

What about "frugality" or "frugalism"? (Is frugalism related to feudalism?) "Frugness" might also be a possibility?

OR, you could take a different tack and say, "cheapness," or "cheapskatedness." Or "cheapedness"?

Perhaps we are frugal when it comes to money, but we are full of richedness when it comes to vocabulary.

Anonymous said...

Note about my note:

I think I was starting to sound like Pastor there...just a thought...

J. Folken said...

From dictionary.com:

fru·gal Audio Help /ˈfrugəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[froo-guhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. economical in use or expenditure; prudently saving or sparing; not wasteful: a frugal manager.
2. entailing little expense; requiring few resources; meager; scanty: a frugal meal.

fru·gal·i·ty, fru·gal·ness, noun
fru·gal·ly, adverb

—Synonyms 1. thrifty, chary, provident, careful. See economical.

I like "frugal" because it seems to imply wise spending. I would call some other family members "cheap" because they could afford a good quality [insert name of item here], but instead choose to buy a lot of junk just because it's cheap. Frugal seems to point to getting a good quality for a lower price, and being careful about what you buy.

From dictionary.com:
No results found for richedness.
Did you mean richness?