Monday, April 07, 2008

Good Media for Preschool Kids

Sometimes I have a hard time finding reliably good media for my kids. Here are some things I know of through my own experience or high recommendations from others that I have found value in for my own kids:

Hermie & Friends - I found one of these at the Hudson Citywide Garage Sales last year, and picked it up, hoping my kids would watch it. You see, someone gave us the book back when Isaiah was born, and I love Max Lucado's simple messages to kids. My kids finally started watching it a couple of months ago, and I've collected 4 of the 10 so far through garage sales and craigslist. The ones I have focus on being special, being truthful, following the rules, and friendship - all lessons that Sydney and Isaiah need right now.


The Pond - These were recommended by the Knipps, and we have enjoyed listening to the stories on the way to and from church each week. The kids don't necessarily get into the story yet, but I think they will. There is a simple message for the kids and a lot of funny jokes that only the adults will understand. Also, these are short and sweet - 10-15 minutes each - so as not to require a long attention span.


Adventures in Odyssey - Of course, many of you familiar with Focus on the Family will also know of this wonderful radio and video series. I grew up listening to them only once in awhile on the radio when we were out and about on Saturday mornings, but I have always wanted to get them for long trips. Eugene (right) is my favorite character. Ryan and I have found that the time passes much more quickly in the car when we can listen to a story, as we have been doing with the Chronicles of Narnia recently.


Cedarmont Kids CDs - I have really enjoyed these musical CDs for my kids. I get really annoyed by a lot of music CDs with kids singing on them. They either change up the song so it doesn't go how you think it should, or it has an adult singing, or very annoying children. I happen to really like these CDs, as they have kids singing, but they aren't bad. Also, the songs are pretty standard, they have a variety of CDs, and they are relatively cheap (usually around $3.99 at a Christian bookstore). The only downfalls are that of course, they don't have every song and they only have 1 CD of hymns (I would love for my children to learn the 50 or so that I know well and love).

1 comment:

marnmic said...

As your kids get older, you'll have to check out Down Gilead Lane. This is a series that we have only listened to the first three seasons, but we really enjoy! It is produced by Children's Bible Hour. They are really good!