Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"I Was Smart Because I Could Read Well"


Ryan and I have been talking lately about phonics-based reading vs. whole language. Not that we were planning to do whole language, anyway. I just remember having Whole Language class in elementary (3rd/4th/5th grades at least), but I know I learned to read before or during Kindergarten. And to my recollection, I learned by phonics (which, I understand, most public schools have gone back to).

Anyway, I was given the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading to browse as a possible reading curriculum for my kids in the coming years. After reading the preface and introduction, I feel that I think a lot like the authors. Because I know some of my blog readers are homeschooling or thinking about it, I wanted to print a portion of the preface here for you to read, too. And for those of you who are not planning to homeschool, or are definitely going to do another form of schooling, might I encourage you to teach your child to read before they get to school.

When I was in elementary school, a kid told me, "You can read good because you're so smart." I know now I did well in school, not because I was smart, but because I could read well.

A child who reads well possesses a tool to make academic success possible. Reading is a lifetime skill that allows the child to fulfill professional dreams and function in a world of educated people. It can give pleasure and access to worlds beyond his reach both in space and in time.

I advocate teaching reading to the very young when possible. Children can recognize and name hundreds of things. They understand thousands of words. They are excited about learning new grown-up skills. If you can teach your child to read before school-age, he will be ahead in reading for the rest of his education.

But if you have a school-age child who is struggling with reading, don't waste time. The longer a child struggles, the more discourage he becomes, and this discouragement will affect his overall academic performance.

If you have been told you child has a learning disability, teach him yourself before you give up on him. I have taught many children who had been given a disability label. They all learned to read. I believe that in each case there was a teaching disability in the child's educational history - usually a faulty method of teaching reading. I believe that all children who are not suffering from severe mental retardation or severe emotional upset can learn to read. And anyone who can read can teach another to read if provided with a systematic method that is used frequently, patiently, and consistently.

Personally, I always did well in school, and I was always in an advanced reading group throughout elementary school. I read a lot outside of school, in almost every spare minute. The author would attribute this to early reading, and I can't say that I disagree with her when comparing myself with others. I am definitely not "smarter" in most subject areas, but I think I did well because I could read well.

Thanks for the curriculum, Mary Ann! And now I'm wanting to read A Well-Trained Mind that you lent me several months ago (by the same authors). Comments, anyone?

4 comments:

marnmic said...

Oh, they are excellent authors. I listened her some of SWB's tapes from a homeschool seminar at which she spoke and she is excellent. Very understandable. I have the rest of the program if you think you want it. (CD, magnet tiles with board) Just say the word.
I really wish I could have used that with Maddie. It was just recently published. If it were not for Marc's dyslexia I would be using it now. :-) I think it's one of the better phonics programs out there...if not the best.

Anonymous said...

Well-Trained Mind is GREAT!! Thanks for the info!! We are doing phonics www.letteroftheweek.com and Elijah is loving it! He had his first nightmare the other night about Ladybugs and Leopards (guess which letter we were studying that week!!) Even great homeschooling has its' backfiring days! :-) What a laugh we have had about that!

J. Folken said...

Yes, yes, yes! Mary Ann, I was EVERYTHING. :) Actually, I didn't realize all the things that came with it until I went to the link to put it in my post. Anyway, I probably won't start it until summer, so no hurry. But I am going to continue reading the parents' portions of the book. I also started reading The Well-Trained Mind last night. :)

Stephanie said...

Hey Joy,

I am using that book with Corrie and having a lot of success. She is reading quite well and enjoys the lessons. I am planning on following the Well-Trained Mind as a general format for our home schooling, too. :)

Steph