Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A Little Chilly

It's been a little chilly here since Friday, especially in the mornings. At first, I just started running down to the basement and grabbing a pair of pants for each kid to wear for the day, but after several days, I've decided to just go ahead and take some of their pants and warmer pj's upstairs and make room for them in the closet. I think the cooler weather is here to stay!

Whenever it starts cooling off initially, I start dreaming of all my warm fall foods that I want to bake. Some of them are:
  • pumpkin bars (made from real pumpkin) with cream cheese frosting
  • pumpkin pie with the new tender, flaky (homemade) pie crust
  • pumpkin bread
  • banana bread
  • zucchini bread
  • bran muffins
  • homemade apple butter on fresh baked bread

So, my plans may be too lofty for what time I have available this fall, but I am looking forward to getting some time back after Thanksgiving.

What am I doing to occupy all my free time as a stay-at-home mom? Well, I have decided to homeschool the kids this year, and do lessons with them on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Tuesday is our busy day. In the morning, I take the kids to a local church and do nursery duty with 2-year-olds while their moms attend a Bible study. We come home around noon, have a quick lunch, and then the kids usually take a really good nap because of their morning activity. In the evening, I drive the kids down to Bellevue, where I meet Ryan and we exchange cars. I go to school from 6:00-10:00 p.m. and he takes the kids to Awana Club at our church. Sydney is a Cubbie this year! My day "off", Friday, is filled with laundry, ironing, and cleaning my house.

The good thing is that the Bible study and my class only go for 12 weeks, so I will be done with both of them by Thanksgiving! After that, I'm sure I will feel like a free woman. Until then, I'm going to hunker down and do all my historical reading so that I can pull an A or B in this class. It's not an easy A like the past year has been.

So, what do you guys like to do in the fall?

4 comments:

Susan Kauffman said...

It has really cooled off here too. Being more of a fall/winter type person, I'm ecstatic! I had to wear a jacket leaving work at Fareway tonite...Didn't bother me a bit! I'm looking forward to fall baking also. I also am going to start switching Rachael's and my wardrobes out. Almost time to start gearing up for the holidays ahead too.

Susan

Heather said...

I just started a Cubbies program at our church! How does Sydney like it? Anything fun that they've done?

marnmic said...

I love this cool weather. It's fantastic. As far as fall cooking...there's nothing like German Potato Cheese Soup or a big pot of chili. :-)

Anonymous said...

This fall we move to warmer weather :-( We are planning on having a big pity party to mourn the loss of some of our greatest friends :-(

In cleaning out my pantry tonight I found lots of baking stuff that I hope you will use. . . so you will have to post some pictures of your fall baking, and I can see what I COULD have baked with the ingredients that I got too busy to use!

Seriously, though, we get to have a bunch of our siblings over to our house for Thanksgiving - COUSIN party for my children!! Yeah!!