Friday, April 20, 2007

Grampa's Farm

Tonight I got a little surprise outing. One of the teachers at the school invited me to go to a MOPS fundraising garage sale out in Blair. She had to drive out there (about 30 miles) for a different purpose, but invited me for the garage sale opportunity. Naturally, I couldn't turn down this offer. She even offered her girls to babysit my kids at their house! So, I joined Mrs. Nupson and Mrs. Rosema (a former OCA teacher) in their trek to Grampa's Farm (yes, that's the real name). It was a nice drive and a lot of fun to get to know them, so I really enjoyed myself. When we got there, I realized this was not a garage sale, but a consignment sale (but still a MOPS fundraiser). I was a little disappointed, as consignment sales tend to be a bit pricey in this area. But as I started looking at the clothes, I realized that this was different from the sales in Omaha. These prices were reasonable! I walked away from the sale with a summer Dora outfit, summer Buzz Lightyear pj's, a spring jacket (for Isaiah, a year from now), and 3 Blue's Clues videos for $10. Wow! And I got on their mailing list - you can bet I won't miss this one in the fall!

We stuck around awhile and as I watched the MOPS ladies close up the sale, it caused me to reflect on my brief period of MOPS involvement. Someone invited me to join MOPS just after we moved to Gothenburg, when I was still pregnant with Sydney. MOPS provided a group for me to be a part of at a time when I needed to be involved with something. It gave me some neat fundraising ideas and some treasured keepsakes. Although I have tried to find another MOPS group, I think God is leading me toward something deeper at this point in my life. Maybe someday I'll be able to be involved with MOPS again, on the helping side of the ministry.

1 comment:

Steve, Anne, Asher & Karis said...

I hadn't thought about checking out a MOPS group here in Duluth yet. I may do so to make more connections! Thanks for the idea.